Juleen’s (Mostly) Travel Bucket List for 2020
What do most people do at the end (and beginning) of each year? We reflect on our achievements, our shortfalls and determine what and how we would like to do better in the next year. Hit the gym, eat healthier, spend more time with friends and family are all pretty common goals.
Another common goal might be to travel more. I know it’s definitely always one of my resolutions. At the end of each year, in addition to the aforementioned goals, I like to reflect on my travels and new experiences and determine where I would like to go and what kinds of experiences I would like to have in the coming year.
Like many people, I have a bucket list and there is a whole section dedicated to travel and new experiences. Each year, I use this lifetime bucket list to help determine my goals for the year. But first, let me reflect on my travels for 2019. What did I do last year?
- I went to Germany for work, but all work and no
play makes Juleen a dull girl, so naturally I explored and had some fun when I was off the clock. Even better, my work conference in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany coincided perfectly with Freiburg’s Wine Festival and trust me, this girl was there every night. I also did a hike up to Schlossbergturm (Castle Hill Tower), got half way up the tower before my fear of heights kicked in and I basically crawled back down and waited for everyone to come down. I ate a lot of good food including obviously a lot of sausage but also tried Moroccan food for the first time, and I walked in the Freiburg Bächle almost every night even though the water was freezing.
- I went home for a month. Needing a visa for the US worked in my favour this time because during my trip to Germany, my US visa expired which meant I got a free trip home to Jamaica since I couldn’t return to the USA without first renewing my visa. It’s always a pleasure to be home but I have to admit, I did not do as much as I would have liked. I barely even made it to the beach. Something about being home that just makes me a bit lazy when it comes to touristing, but I need to do better.
- I visited three new states in the United States. Indiana on a work trip and tried ribs for the first time, Louisiana to New Orleans and Nevada. Vegas baby! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? Just kidding, my NOLA and Vegas vlogs will be released soon. Subscribe to my YouTube channel (and hit the bell!) to get notified.
- I visited Orlando twice, once for a baecation and another for a birthday/girls’ trip. We visited the water parks, the amusement parks, watched performances and more but it’s safe to say, I am fine not going to Orlando anytime soon.
- Oh wait, and how could I forget? I moved! Bye New York, hello Maryland. I’ve gotta admit, I miss living in the Hudson Valley, particularly during the fall and when I want to visit a winery but I love living in a city again. Hopefully, Baltimore is good to me.
So back to 2020. What are my travel goals for 2020? In general, I like to be a bit broad with my travel goals. It makes them easier to accomplish, especially since I’m not really the type to plan my travels months in advance. Is that cheating? I know that probably goes against the golden rules of goal setting, or does it? They’re still measurable and achievable, just not also very specific. Anyway, drum roll please, here are my 2020 travel goals:
Well there you have it, my travel bucket list for 2020. What do you think? Do you have any recommendations of places I should visit? What’s on your travel bucket list?
Do comment any trips you have planned. I would love to hear about them.